[Ur] What about a new project - general purpose ur like language which collaborates with existing languages?

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Thu Nov 21 08:25:54 EST 2013

On 11/21/2013 02:20 AM, Marc Weber wrote:
> Do you know about anything which already comes closer to my goals?
> Eg I know that the theorem prover Isabell is able to generate code for
> Haskell and ML or such. (I never used it)

There's a lot of work on source-to-source compilers out there, and I
don't see too much scientific challenge in implementing such things.

>> My research group does have some ongoing work on creating tools to make
>> it easier to implement fancy languages like Ur/Web, and I would hope
>> those tools will some day make a good starting point for project(s) like
>> you propose!
>>
> Please consider updating this mailinglist about progress/ links/ .. once
> in a while.
>
> In your research group there are also students? Do you think they would
> love to continue working on "such stuff" if there was funding ?
> Everybody wants to have a living ..

No one has brought up your particular idea, and I would have
reservations that it would be considered research-y enough by the
community to be a good choice for students.

Lately I'm more interested in replacing common programming languages
than interoperating with them.