[Ur] What about a new project - general purpose ur like language which collaborates with existing languages?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Nov 24 17:32:51 EST 2013

Excerpts from Adam Chlipala's message of Thu Nov 21 14:25:54 +0100 2013:
> Lately I'm more interested in replacing common programming languages
> than interoperating with them.
A simple use case would be a library for ur.

Most famous languages come with some kind of library management:
  - scala has sbt,
  - java: mvn, ivy, ..
  - ruby has gems/bundler
  - PHP (pear, maybe others? Never like this one)
  - Haskell: cabal
  - perl cpan
  - nodejs: npm
  - ..

How would you propose solving this task without having a general
purpose programming language?

And if you used a general purpose programming language X you'd be have
trouble to create something like hackage, because you would have to
duplicate the code parsing package descriptions and the like eventually.

Do you already have one in mind which (new language) you'd use to fill
such gap because you say "I'm interested in replacing existing languages"?

The main problem is "tons of existing code nobody can rewrite fast".
Thus there are two options:
- stick to "old technology and survive"
- choose newer one, rewrite everything, and consider missing deadlines

Maybe its only my point of view. But Ruby, PHP etc have batteries
included to create PDF and so on - that's why I keep telling that
consider this to be important (to me only?) and why its hard for me to
consider urweb to be an option for my projects at the moment.

These are my honest concerns.

Marc Weber