[Ur] Error doing 'make smlnj' (trying to access UrWeb compiler interactively, within SML/NJ)

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Wed Dec 24 10:59:28 EST 2014

On 12/24/2014 10:55 AM, Stefan Scott Alexander wrote:
> As a method of learning UrWeb, I am interested in accessing modules of
> some of the demos interactively.
>
> The UrWeb manual (http://www.impredicative.com/ur/manual.pdf - page 4)
> seems to be saying that this can be done, as follows:

No, it's the /compiler/ that can be accessed interactively. Probably
only compiler developers care about that sort of thing. Ur/Web has no
REPL and is not likely to have one any time soon.

> After downloading the UrWeb repository from mercurial and attempting
> to perform these instructions on Debian Wheezy, the following errors
> occur:
>
> (1) When doing 'make smlnj':
>     make: *** No rule to make target 'smlnj'.  Stop.
>
> (2) Arbitrarily skipping (1) and trying to do 'CM.make "src/urweb.cm
> <http://urweb.cm>";' in sml:
>     uncaught exception Io [Io: openIn failed on "src/urweb.cm
> <http://urweb.cm>", No such file or directory]

First you need to run what I think is a standard command-line preamble
for UNIX-y projects:
     ./autogen.sh
     ./configure
     make smlnj