[Ur] Error doing 'make smlnj' (trying to access UrWeb compiler interactively, within SML/NJ)

Stefan Scott Alexander stefanscottalexx at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 11:41:56 EST 2014

Thanks - that worked of course.

I don't know how I forgot about running those two previous commands - I've
always had to run them whenever compiling other projects on Unix.

I was trying to learn more about the Grid1 demo, because it seems like a
very important example, but it's not always straightforward to figure out
what a lot of the code is doing - so I had been hoping that even though
UrWeb uses the MLton whole-program optimizing compiler and there is no
UrWeb REPL, I might be able to use SMLNJ to interactively experiment with
individual functions to get a better understanding of what each one of them
does. But I guess this won't be possible.

I thought I had a pretty good understanding of ML - but now I see that all
I have learned was the usual "toy" examples from reading textbooks. When
confronted with a real application such as the Grid1 demo (a non-trivial
example using metaprogramming in UrWeb to implement an Ajax-y CRUD
interface for a 3-tier web app), I felt a bit overwhelmed.

The Grid1 demo is could be viewed as a rather monumental achievement in the
history of web programming - perhaps as a kind of "Rosetta stone" or
"canonical example" of how to write an Ajax-y CRUD web app - using a
*single* functional, statically typed DSL encompassing all the languages
(SQL, HTML+JavaScript, and a server-side "scripting" language) used in all
three tiers (database, browser, webserver) of "traditional" web app
programming languages - and also producing an efficient native executable
as well.

I really wish there were some step-by-step way of learning how this
important demo works - without having to ask someone to take the time to
comment and explicate every line. Hence my interest in just running tiny
pieces of it incrementally / interactively.

###