[Ur] Collecting Ur/Web examples

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Fri Jul 18 08:50:28 EDT 2014

On 07/17/2014 10:27 PM, orchidaceae phalaenopsis wrote:
>> Can you say a bit more about the rough edges you're encountering?
>>
> 1) To avoid name mangling we had to write "rewrite style" for ever tag
> in the css file.

I'm skeptical that you need one directive per class.  Are you aware of
wildcards in 'rewrite' rules?  E.g.:
     rewrite style Foo/bar*
to simply drop the given prefix.  See the manual for more detail (but
not much more; it's a simple feature).

> 2) To avoid using a dedicated web server in tandem with Ur/Web, we had
> to inline a CSS file as a string and write a function that serves it
> as a blob

I personally consider "running a dedicated web server" as so trivial a
cost that it is not important to provide features to help avoid it.  I
recommend always running a web server like Apache with Ur/Web apps.

[But enough people are asking that I'll probably implement general file
serving in Ur/Web HTTP executables soon, while suggesting that it never
be used in production code.]

> 3) We had to declare every CSS tag inside the .ur file, duplicating
> what's in the css and the .urp file

Sounds like a feature and not a bug to me!  You might want to use
different .css files implementing the same interface, that is, the same
set of class names.  The .ur file gives that interface, and not every
implementation (.css file) needs to define all classes, or might define
some extra unused ones.  (And I think the ".urp file duplication" is
easy to avoid, as suggested above.)