[Ur] New website?

Timothy Beyer beyert at fastmail.net
Sun Aug 9 23:34:18 EDT 2015

At Sun, 09 Aug 2015 08:42:27 -0400,
Adam Chlipala wrote:

> I remain confused by your description below.  Ur/Web has RPCs built into
> it, including support for exposing RPC entry points callable from other
> languages over HTTP.  There is also a standard library for marshalling
> and unmarshalling JSON from native types.  I don't understand what new
> _general_ support for RPCs you're working on that isn't duplicating
> built-in functionality.

I have no doubt that I am reiventing the wheel, and I'll look further into
utilizing the built in entry points that you mentioned, which I wasn't aware of
at the time I wrote the code.  I'd rather write code using idiomatic Ur/Web
idioms than do something custom as I have done in this case, but it was really
easy for me to just use the C FFI to accomplish the task, and so far it works
really well.

> As for urweb-callback, the mailing-list archives will show my skepticism
> of the basic abstraction, at the time it was being designed.  I remain
> unconvinced that it's necessary, given the periodic-tasks functionality
> built into Ur/Web.

I understand that point of view, it just seems like a useful library in some
situations.

Regards,
Tim