[Ur] Can an Ur/Web server be made to create directories / write to files on the host Linux filesystem?

Sergey Mironov grrwlf at gmail.com
Mon May 18 15:56:57 EDT 2015

> At Mon, 18 May 2015 12:32:16 +0300,
> Sergey Mironov wrote:
>>
>> Hi! Here are 2 cents from my side: I've written urweb-callback library
>> which provides API for running server-side tasks. The library follows
>> the transactional semantics where possible. Also, it sends a callback
>> to a client upon completion - it was a non-trivial thing to implement.
>> The code is a bit bulky, but it works.
>> https://github.com/grwlf/urweb-callback
>
> This library sounds interesting.  I think I only overlooked it in the past
> because it requires patches.
>
> So if I start a process that takes a long time, and the Ur/Web server process
> gets stopped, does the process keep on running?

No, this library is for the http-server mode only. Special worker
thread (there are fixed amount of them) tracks a process.

> On the client side, if the person refreshes the page, does the process keep on
> running?

There are both synchronous and asynchronous modes. In the async mode
process will not be killed and It is possible to query its exit code
and stdout buffer. Also, as I wrote before, it is possible to receive
completion notification.