[Ur] Reading files uploaded by a user

Simon Van Casteren simon.van.casteren at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 16:34:28 EDT 2018

Hey everybody,

Does anybody have experience with reading files uploaded by a user in
Ur/Web? My use case: I'm building an application used by (music) schools
and migrating their data into my database is a big thing. Medium-sized
schools often have more than 1000 students following classes, so adding
them one by one via an online form is a big time investment, especially
since students don't just have names but also addresses, phone numbers,
email addresses and pre-existing enrollments.

I want to provide import functionality of this data and I feel CSV files
are probably the best way to go with this. Microsoft Excel exports these,
database programs can export these they're human-readable, etc.

I know Ur/Web supports file upload with the file and blob types, but I
don't know where to go from there. Probably I'll have to use the C FFI to
then read these files, but I honestly don't know where to begin. I don't
know what the internal representation of these types is, nor would I know
where to begin searching how to then process these into Ur/Web data
structures.

Ideally I would have a function that just does:

blob -> transaction (list string)

or something, maybe providing an encoding if needed. I really don't know
where to begin here, so any help is much appreciated!

BTW: Thanks for Ur/Web, it's been a godsend for me.

Simon