[Ur] Drop of several orders of magnitude in Techempower benchmarks

Oisín Mac Fhearaí denpashogai at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 17:17:45 EDT 2019

Update! The good news:
I was able to update the Dockerfile to build Ur/web from the latest release
tarball (basically, using the old round 16 Dockerfile with a couple of
small fixes like installing libicu-dev) and compare the benchmarks with the
version installed with apt from the Ubuntu repo. The version built from the
latest release was over ten times faster, even running on my old laptop.

The bad news:
The latest version of Ur appears to fail the "fortunes" test with the
following diff (there is more, but this seems to explain it):

UNIX. — Tom Christaensen</td></tr>
UNIX.  Tom Christaensen</td></tr>
fortune: @@ -17 +17 @@

It would seem that Unicode characters are being stripped from the output,
causing the test to fail. I'm not familiar with exactly what the test is
trying to do, and I don't know much about how Ur handles UTF-8.

If you can advise on how to fix this, I'd be happy to open a PR on the
Techempower benchmarks repo with my changes.

Oisín