[Ur] Drop of several orders of magnitude in Techempower benchmarks

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Tue Aug 6 13:59:21 EDT 2019

On 8/5/19 5:17 PM, Oisín Mac Fhearaí wrote:
> Update! The good news:
> I was able to update the Dockerfile to build Ur/web from the latest
> release tarball (basically, using the old round 16 Dockerfile with a
> couple of small fixes like installing libicu-dev) and compare the
> benchmarks with the version installed with apt from the Ubuntu repo.
> The version built from the latest release was over ten times faster,
> even running on my old laptop.
Very interesting finding!  I've asked the Debian packager if he can
think of some build-process change there that would have introduced a
slowdown.
> The bad news:
> The latest version of Ur appears to fail the "fortunes" test with the
> following diff (there is more, but this seems to explain it):

> prefer UNIX. — Tom Christaensen</td></tr>
> prefer UNIX.  Tom Christaensen</td></tr>
> fortune: @@ -17 +17 @@
>
> It would seem that Unicode characters are being stripped from the
> output, causing the test to fail. I'm not familiar with exactly what
> the test is trying to do, and I don't know much about how Ur handles
> UTF-8.
That's odd.  I see the Unicode characters when I run that benchmark
locally with a recent Git checkout of Ur/Web.  Are you sure you ran the
database-setup scripts properly?  What happens when you query the
database manually?  Are the right characters there?