[Ur] Drop of several orders of magnitude in Techempower benchmarks

Oisín Mac Fhearaí denpashogai at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 16:21:23 EDT 2019

Hello! I used "git bisect" to find the commit that introduced behaviour
that causes Ur/Web to fail the Fortunes test in the benchmarks.
It's commit 5cc729b48aad084757a049b7e5cdbadae5e9e400 from November 2018.
Unfortunately that's a pretty big squashed commit from a PR:
https://github.com/urweb/urweb/commit/5cc729b48aad084757a049b7e5cdbadae5e9e400

It'd be great if someone could take a look and see why it strips UTF-8
output in that benchmark test. Note that the test runs in a Docker
container, so perhaps it's trying to infer a system-wide i18n setting?

Once we fix this, we can update the benchmarks repo and solve the sorry
state of affairs with Ur/Web way down the performance rankings. I'd love to
see more people active in the community, and things like this would help
raise awareness of the project.

Oisín