[Ur] Drop of several orders of magnitude in Techempower benchmarks

Oisín Mac Fhearaí denpashogai at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 15:28:28 EDT 2019

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 19:00, Adam Chlipala <adamc at csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> On 8/5/19 5:17 PM, Oisín Mac Fhearaí wrote:
> > [...]
> > It would seem that Unicode characters are being stripped from the
> > output, causing the test to fail. I'm not familiar with exactly what
> > the test is trying to do, and I don't know much about how Ur handles
> > UTF-8.
> That's odd.  I see the Unicode characters when I run that benchmark
> locally with a recent Git checkout of Ur/Web.  Are you sure you ran the
> database-setup scripts properly?  What happens when you query the
> database manually?  Are the right characters there?

I didn't run the database-setup scripts manually; the "tfb" script at the
repo root does that. I also tested one of the Go frameworks the same way:
"/tfb --mode benchmark --test fasthttp-postgresql --type fortune", which
seems to pass the test. When I ran the benchmark with the Ubuntu package
version of urweb, it also passed the test (albeit many, many times more
slowly).

To double-check though, I built an image from
toolset/databases/postgres/postgres.dockerfile and saw that there are
actually two duplicate tables: "fortune" and "Fortune". That's curious, but
they contain the same 12 rows (including UTF characters) anyway.

It is a bit puzzling, because my local Urweb version seems to have no
problem showing UTF-8 text from a table.